The Manager, Proposals works with the business development, client service and technical delivery teams to draft, edit, format and deliver complete and compelling proposals (including scope of work and pricing), as well as responses to RFPs and RFIs. This individual coordinates the proposal process from start to finish including writing and editing all proposal sections, producing a high quality product. The Manager, Proposals supports a comprehensive database of leads and proposals, and ensures frequent communication of lead/proposal status between business development and the delivery teams. This position also supports other business development and marketing efforts in the company.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Other duties may be assigned.
- Manage Proposals Team
- Manage daily proposal activities including triage of Requests for Proposals and Information
- Manage proposal team and proposal; including proposal associates and analysts
- Manage multiple proposal efforts, in various stages, concurrently.
- Support the geographically dispersed sales team by managing the proposal development lifecycle from consulting, scoping, estimating, and proposal writing (from lead generation to the transition to project delivery). Provide access to the content expertise and consulting required for effective business development.
- Function as liaison between business development and the client services and technical delivery groups to compile a complete and accurate scope of work for each proposal.
- Write proposals. Circulate the drafts of each proposal and ensure that all comments are addressed by the proposal author.
- Participate in hand-off meetings from business development to delivery teams. Support the sales team by working with project managers to ensure smooth project transitions.
- Support Contracts Team with final budget review based on approved system requirements. Work with client services and technical delivery teams to define final scope for pricing.
- Develop and maintain proposal development tools
- Maintain a library of proposal and capabilities text to streamline and standardize the first draft of each proposal and Requests for Information.
- Maintain a central information repository, and be able to incorporate recently discussed strategies, pricing, and lessons learned into new proposals and Requests for Information.
- Develop and maintain scoping and budgeting guidelines and “best practices.”
- Work with the sales team to develop a checklist of key points to be addressed in each proposal.
- Work with the Finance department to develop and enhance project models using proprietary in-house systems to determine prices for custom solutions.
- Report Status
- Facilitate post-mortem reviews of unsuccessful proposal efforts to evolve lessons learned.
- Support a comprehensive database of leads and proposals, and ensure that the information in the system is accurate and up-to-date.
- Support written and verbal updates on active leads and proposals at regular status meetings.
- Maintain a report of current experience metrics for use in capabilities presentations and proposals
Skills & Competencies
Bachelor’s degree in business, science or related field with emphasis on writing and analysis
Minimum 4-5 years of previous experience in business development, project management, and/or proposal writing in the pharmaceutical industry, CRO or related field.
- Ability to work well with senior-level executives.
- Must possess exceptional writing skills combined with the ability to readily grasp concepts, processes, and desired tone; ability to convert clinical/scientific input into intelligent, readable prose. Previous experience writing technical proposals is required.
- Must be self-directed, results-oriented coupled with strong attention to detail, strong people skills and good judgment.
- Must be able to focus and prioritize effectively to complete his/her work in a demanding, deadline oriented environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Word, Adobe and Excel is required
- Occasional travel is expected, less than 10%.